Sunday, July 21, 2013

Memories of a young Ric

My father and I did not spend a lot of what I would say is "quality" time together. I mean he took me fishing a few times, we went boating, and there was always the trips to Wisconsin and the air show. We did some fun stuff, but honestly the most time I spent with my father we were working together, or more specifically I was helping him.

And for that reason, I feel like I'm much less like my father than some people think. No younger person wants to work in their free time, which is what I mostly did with my father. Help him tile, or fix stuff around the house. Or pick up sticks, or shingles, or any debris that was in the yard. That was hell for any of us kids. I remember having to sweep the shop with the super old vacuum we had. Just, the time I spent with my father in my free time not at school was working. And I almost resent it. I feel like I'm a better person for it, but I definitely always wished I was doing something other than  helping my Dad build our new addition.

I also always felt that whatever I did was either not good enough, or not right. I remember working on the tractors and the whole time I was just frustrated because I was always doing things wrong, or the way I wanted to go about things was never right.  And half the time we basically ended up doing the things the way I wanted to. I specifically remember welding the trailer I wanted to turn down the welding wire speed so not to burn through the metal. My Dad saw me turn it down and turned it right back up. A few days later he decided that maybe it should be turned down. I face palmed so hard.

But I suppose I came out better off for it. I do things the way he would, and normally he was right, although slow. That's where him and I are different. He has said that he feels fulfilled working a little bit on a bunch of projects. But that way he never gets anything done. And he really doesn't. I thought that it may be that he is old, but my mother says he has always been things way. Never completing any projects. I on the other hand have done two tractors, and 4.5 motorcycles. I have big plans for doing other broken down pieces we have. But I have to work on one thing at a time, and attack it and get it done.

I love my father, I really do. But I want to be the good parts of him, not the judgemental impossible to please stubborn parts. He is really smart and knows a lot of useful things. I want to be that.

No comments:

Post a Comment